How Big is the Penalty if You Don’t Get Health Insurance?

By :: November 6th, 2013

Stories about the Affordable Care Act often tell readers that they’ll have to pay a $95 penalty if they don’t get adequate health insurance coverage. But, like a lot of other things I read about the health law, that’s not quite correct. The penalty (which the Supreme Court said is actually a tax) could be less or, more likely, a lot more. It’s a complicated story.

The basic penalty is $95 in 2014—if you’re unmarried with no dependents and your income is less than $19,500. If your income is higher, you’ll owe more: 1 percent of the amount by which your income exceeds the sum of a single person’s personal exemption and standard deduction in the federal income tax. That’s $10,000 in 2013. But be warned: Income equals adjusted gross income (AGI—that number on the last line on page 1 of your tax return) plus any tax-exempt interest and excluded income earned abroad. If you make $30,000, your penalty will be $200.

Still with me? Good, because it is about to get more confusing.

If you’re married or have kids, you’ll owe a minimum of $95 per person for yourself, your spouse, and each dependent over age 17 plus half that amount for each child under 18. But the total can’t exceed three times the basic $95 tax, or $285. Except it can. If 1 percent of your income (minus your and your spouse’s personal exemptions and standard deduction—$20,000 in 2013—plus those add-ons) is more than $285, that’s what you’ll owe. Oh, and you’ll have to include your dependents’ income in the calculation.

But there’s a cap. Your total penalty can’t exceed the national average premium for a bronze-level health policy for your family’s size. We don’t know what that is yet but it’s surely more than $95. CBO projects that the average bronze premium in 2016 will be between $4,500 and $5,000 for an individual plan and more than $12,000 for families. If your income exceeds $1.2 million next year, that ceiling might apply.

That’s just for 2014. The penalty will grow over time: The dollar minimums will be $325 in 2015 and $695 in 2016 and will grow with inflation after that (rounded down to multiples of $50). By 2023, it will hit a projected $800. And the percentage of income penalty also grows—to 2 percent in 2015 and 2.5 percent after that.

Some people won’t have to pay the tax. Even if you don’t have insurance, you’re safe if you have religious objections to health insurance, are an American Indian, are in jail, or are “not lawfully present” in the U.S., among other reasons. You’re also protected if buying insurance would impose economic hardship. That happens if it would cost more than 8 percent of your income (defined slightly differently of course).

If you owe a penalty, you’re supposed to pay it with your income tax return. But there’s not much the IRS can do if you don’t pay. They can’t put you in jail or garnish your wages. In fact, about the only way the IRS can collect is if you’re due a refund. They can deduct the penalty from this year’s and future refunds.

A well-known radio personality is urging people to avoid the penalty by making sure you won’t get a tax refund. Ignore him. Trying this requires many years of careful planning and is easy to mess up. Besides, most Americans love their refunds.

There is, of course, a simpler way to avoid the penalty: Sign up for health insurance.

39Comments

1. Ralph H  ::  10:18 am on November 6th, 2013:

Well, from your simplified explanation I can see where at least a dozen of the thousands of pages in ACA law were devoted to. Sounds like a typical governmentized law with many loopholes, varying penalties and uneven enforcement.

people need straightforward laws.

2. Michael Bindner  ::  11:47 am on November 6th, 2013:

I have an interesting case. My wife and child get health insurance through her job, but I was not added. If I don’t get health insurance (I work a minimum wage job but my wife does not), what will my penalty be? I think I will just get a better job and sign up for Obamacare. More easily said then done. Is TPC hiring?

3. Jack B  ::  12:23 pm on November 6th, 2013:

With this much complexity going in to figure your fine (tax) for not being insured, I can see the cost of Turbo Tax going up for 2014.

4. AMTbuff  ::  2:33 pm on November 6th, 2013:

This is what happens when the government tries to keep a major income transfer program off-budget.

I wonder what percent of the total IRS budget will be spent on work related to the health care subsidies and penalty tax.

5. Pick an Extra Bail of Cotton Slave: Why the ObamaCare Penalty Will Likely Be More Than $95 – Blur Brain  ::  8:25 pm on November 21st, 2013:

[…] as reason to forgo coverage that will cost more than $95 a month.But it’s not that simple, as Roberton Williams of the Tax Policy Center pointed out last week, for a number of reasons.Your penalty will likely be more than $95. In fact, if […]

6. dental crowns  ::  6:45 pm on January 30th, 2014:

Superb submit. I’m examining regularly this blog page and i am motivated! Very useful information in particular the ending phase :) I deal with such information and facts considerably. I became searching for the following specified facts for an extended time. Appreciate it and also connected with good luck.

7. How Big Will Obamacare Penalty Taxes Be? –  ::  9:29 pm on March 6th, 2014:

[…] My TaxVox post last November explained what determines the penalty. For low-income households, it’s a fixed dollar amount: $95 per adult plus $47.50 per child, up to a total of $285. Higher-income families will owe 1 percent of their income (net of specified deductions), up to the average national cost of getting basic (bronze level) insurance coverage for all family members. According to the Urban Institute’s Health Policy Center, that coverage will cost about $3,600 per adult plus $1,900 per child in 2014. […]

8. How Big Will Obamacare Penalty Taxes Be? | LamboArchie blog  ::  10:48 pm on March 6th, 2014:

[…] My TaxVox post last Nov explained what determines a penalty. For low-income households, it’s a bound dollar amount: $95 per adult and $47.50 per child, adult to a sum of $285. Higher-income families will owe 1 percent of their income (net of specified deductions), adult to a normal inhabitant cost of removing simple (bronze level) word coverage for all family members. According to a Urban Institute’s Health Policy Center, that coverage will cost about $3,600 per adult and $1,900 per child in 2014. […]

9. A Web Tool to Calculate ACA Tax Penalties  ::  3:01 am on March 9th, 2014:

[…] TaxVox post last November explained what determines the penalty. For low-income households, it’s a fixed […]

10. jake banner  ::  6:29 pm on March 13th, 2014:

Is social security included in income?

11. www.torontocarinsurance.org  ::  7:50 am on May 27th, 2014:

Thanks for the tips you have discussed here. Moreover, I believe usually there are some factors
    that really keep your car insurance policy premium straight down. One is, to take into account buying vehicles that are inside good listing of car insurance
    organizations. Cars that happen to be expensive will be more
    at risk of being robbed. Aside from that insurance coverage
    is also in line with the value of your vehicle, so the costlier
    it is, then the higher the premium you pay.

I have seen that car insurance businesses
    know the motors which are at risk from accidents and also other risks.
    Additionally, these people know what types of cars are inclined to higher risk and the higher risk they may have the higher a premium charge.
    Understanding the simple basics of car insurance just might help you choose the
    right form of insurance policy that will take care of your needs in case you happen to be involved in any accident.
    Thank you for sharing the ideas for your blog.
    Thanks alot : ) for your post. I’d really like to say that the
    tariff of car insurance varies from one coverage to another, mainly
    because there are so many different facets which play
    a role in the overall cost. Such as, the brand name of the car or truck
    will have a huge bearing on the fee. A reliable outdated family vehicle will have a lower priced premium when compared to a flashy fancy car.

Thanks for the distinct tips shared on this website. I have noticed that many insurance firms offer shoppers generous savings
    if they decide to insure more and more cars together. A significant number of households own several autos these days,
    in particular those with elderly teenage children still living at
    home, plus the savings on policies can soon begin. So it will pay to
    look for a good deal.
    One thing I’d like to say is that car insurance canceling is a hated experience
    and if you are doing the best things as being a driver
    you may not get one. Some individuals do have the notice that they are officially dumped by their own insurance company and many have to struggle to get extra insurance after having a cancellation. Affordable auto insurance rates are often hard to
    get after having a cancellation. Knowing
    the main reasons for auto insurance cancelling can help motorists prevent
    sacrificing one of the most crucial privileges readily available.

Thanks for the concepts shared via your blog.

Feel free to surf to my blog … Cheap Car Insurance
    Toronto (http://www.torontocarinsurance.org)

12. eli  ::  1:57 pm on June 17th, 2014:

I have a question they call my mom stateing that if she didnt get insurance they can canc our insurance ( my brothers and i) Can they actually do that ?

13. frontlinecommando2hackdownload.blogspot.com  ::  12:08 am on June 22nd, 2014:

5 Name: Haze Class: Sniper Role: Long-Range Support.
    Moreover, they can just bend over and kiss their own stupid assets, since they obviously
    need to have them kissed so badly, so conceitedly (like, again, the
    petty vermin they’re thereby trying to forget they know they are.
    If you’re a first-timer to Howl – OScream at Busch Gardens Tampa, a tour makes sure you see everything without any planning on your part.

Feel free to visit my web-site … frontline commando 2 hack (frontlinecommando2hackdownload.blogspot.com)

14. car finder service  ::  10:16 pm on July 4th, 2014:

Hello dude ! Much appreciation for old perceptions and even advice , I desire your chunk of the internet . I am absolutely going to be on the watch for any and every of your entire foreseeable future articles and posts . You’ve got the best writing and submitting methods . This became quite an exciting blog post . Uphold the fantastic work .

15. tinychat.com  ::  9:35 am on July 20th, 2014:

tinychat.com

TaxVox » Blog Archive How Big is the Penalty if You Don’t Get Health Insurance? » TaxVox

16. strona  ::  10:30 am on July 21st, 2014:

We’ve been a gaggle of volunteers in addition to starting a new system in your neighborhood. Your web site provided us valuable data to be able to works of art upon. You could have conducted an extraordinary occupation along with our whole group will likely be fortunate for you.

17. Latisha  ::  8:50 pm on August 2nd, 2014:

I think that everything posted made a lot of
    sense. However, think about this, suppose you were
    to write a killer headline? I ain’t saying your information isn’t solid., however what if you
    added a post title that makes people desire more?
    I mean TaxVox

18. http://artfulimagesandmore.com  ::  3:49 pm on August 4th, 2014:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your site.
    You have some really good articles and I feel I would
    be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some content
    for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please blast me an email if interested. Kudos!

19. Tracie  ::  9:21 am on August 10th, 2014:

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

20. Meghan  ::  12:33 am on September 5th, 2014:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste
    your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something informative to read?

21. planning calculators  ::  3:39 pm on September 9th, 2014:

If you are going for most excellent contents like myself,
    just pay a visit this web site daily for the reason that it offers quality contents, thanks

22. hotmail 365 hogent  ::  10:43 pm on September 24th, 2014:

However, Hotmail was still one associated with the most widely used services, with
    over 300 million active accounts.

23. energy company  ::  8:15 am on October 6th, 2014:

energy company

TaxVox

24. malls in philippines  ::  2:45 am on October 10th, 2014:

It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

25. Raguel Lawman  ::  2:19 pm on October 31st, 2014:

click over here now

26. braces The Woodlands TX  ::  10:10 pm on November 7th, 2014:

braces The Woodlands TX

TaxVox

27. Cartier love bracelet couple white gold  ::  10:04 pm on January 8th, 2015:

I have a question for some of this blog’s readers. I have been in semi-estrangement, low contact with my family for over four years. Mine is a case of being the family scapegoat since I was six years old, when my parents nearly divorced when my father had an affair with his office assistant at the company he owned. He was forced to take back my mother since she was expecting their fifth child. I am the second born, of a family consisting of 3 daughters followed by two sons. I remember a happy early childhood until my parents reunited. My father didn’t necessarily want to take back his family as he was deeply in love with another woman, his employee. He couldn’t fire her either because she could expose him in the community, though it was actually quite well exposed anyway. He continued to have affairs, not known how many, until he was exposed yet again when he was in his mid-fifties. So many of the stories on this blog are identical to mine. I came to the realization that I had to go in low-contact a few years ago. I had developed some really chronic pain problems (one person talked about it, interstitial cystitis) and being with them and the level of condescending behavior, ridicule, etc. spun me into a flare every time I saw them. In addition, we were all part of a religious community (5,000 of the very lucky chosen ones out of the whole world who would see heaven) and I left that community as well, so in a nutshell, I left my entire world behind, most of my social contacts, etc.
    Cartier love bracelet couple white gold http://cartierlovebraceletcouplewhitegold.weebly.com/

28. How To Save Money On Car Insurance | Just no sense  ::  4:56 pm on January 21st, 2015:

[…] properties, over 80% are let unfurnished. But, what a letting agent calls unfurnished and what a business insurance toronto company call unfurnished are two entirely separate things. If you have carpets, curtains or any […]

29. Ivf 2ww Nausea 5dpo | 30 Day IVF  ::  4:07 pm on January 29th, 2015:

[…] rental that starts between 1st April 2014 Car Rent in Turkey from £9. Ebook before 1st March 2014 and 30th September 2012 and thirty first January 2014 and 28th February 2014 and 31st January 2014 for car […]

30. Vickey Deuser  ::  2:24 am on May 4th, 2015:

“Powered by s9y” “add comment”+”me u00e2len okunan hatim ge u00e7erli michigan”

31. Marylyn  ::  6:41 am on May 8th, 2015:

The ‘blogs’ page will be helpful in updating about new products and services and opportunities for clients
    or visitor. You should not forget that there would be hundreds and thousands of website (Thorsten) offering similar services as you do.
    Some years ago, the fame of white hat SEOwas regarded as a craze with the
    specialists wondering when this online usiness would finally conclude.

32. Phyllis  ::  12:32 pm on May 14th, 2015:

At first don’t get worried about counting calorie intake or weighing the food instead find the foods you
    adore and check out healthy alternatives. They are of help and comparatively safer they do not employ any harmful chemicals Weight Loss Tips And Motivational Speakers they are produced from natural elements.
    Also a great tip for preparing balanced diet is to
    get some healthy cook books and pick some recipes that interest you and take time
    out out of your day and have a proactive role in preparing delicious healthy meals.

33. Kristy  ::  10:01 pm on May 16th, 2015:

Incorporated inn 1991, TRF Techniques is a number one provier of modern Web advertising options in the real property industry.

My weblog wordpress video squeeze page theme

34. Angelita  ::  11:50 pm on May 18th, 2015:

Thank you for another informative website. Where else may I am getting tha ype of info
    written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a mission that I’m just
    now runnimg on, andd I have been at the glance out
    for suich info.

Feel free to surf to my web site – estate agents in Totteridge –
    Harriet

35. Hildegarde  ::  1:29 am on May 22nd, 2015:

%first_paragraphWriting is usually a really good outlet for many who have difficulties in speaking out and talk about their true sensations and also inner thoughts. From pleased memories to painful experiences, letters are usually written to remember the wonderful occasions and offer compassion toward one particular and perhaps towards all individuals of the family. Creating written letters, messages or notes for almost all occasions, from event to grieving, are really thoughtful and also sincere present to a person.

7 million addresses in Australia. Despite the popularity and necessity of email and innovative mobile devices, people still do post mail. And you will call for a mail redirection service when an opportunity to travel shows up or when you have been stationed in an isolated area for work. Although banks and other institutions are providing online transactions, there are still several establishments that send bills by using the mail. Each day the Australia Post sends 20 million things to 10. Clearly, mail sent by using post is not going to be obsolete sooner. There are just some correspondences you cannot simply send using email such as “thank you” notes to your wedding guests and letters of sympathy.

It may also contain the most treasured event that took place between you two, like a bonding time in the woods or a holiday you took years before that made your friendship bond tighter and tougher over the years as well as brought you two closer than in the past. Your sympathy or condolence cards may contain conveying you true sympathies to the entire family and relatives of the departed soul.

You can use the same note for everyone who sends flowers, so there`s no need to come up with something special for each person. To properly acknowledge the reception of sympathy flowers, etiquette requires a note. There`s no need to get wordy, it`s quite acceptable to keep the thank you short and sweet. People will understand that you aren`t up to writing a full letter at this point.

As we all come across situations that would entail a death of a person close to you or anybody you just know, emotions will run high causing physical, financial and emotional unrest and disorder. Kind words from the close friends of a deceased person will help the immediate family get over it more rapidly, knowing that their loved one touched so many lives when he or she is still living. Messages, letters or Funeral Thank You Notes (http://Hkpetpet.Seteshop.Com/) expressing your personal sympathy are a great way of paying respect to the deceased, especially if attached to a very nice arrangement of flowers. Overcoming the grief, heartache and suffering can be hard but is achievable. This will improve a venue full of emotional families and inconsolable hearts.

As technology helps us communicate more quickly and easily, there will forever remain a place for the personal and intimate touch that only handwriting can give. In this digital age, a note in the mail feels more personal and special than ever. The beauty of communication is that there is room for all kinds.

Check out our personalized serving trays. From beautiful thank you cards to hard back journals you’ve come to the right place for personalized stationery. Mix up patterns, try florals with stripes, and make bold choices to create a custom, one-of-a-kind set that will kick the registry to the curb! Create personalized stationery today! Our indie-designed gifts coordinate beautifully with one another, so don’t by coy! Are you in the market for bridal shower gifts, graduation gifts? Our personalized stationery and customized gifts are unique, elegant, fun and so much more. RUVAcards takes care of your personalized stationery and custom stationery needs.

Each time a flower arrangement arrives, take the card or tag with the sender`s name and tuck it into the envelope. When you are ready to send out thank you cards, you can simply sort through the notes and get it all done at once. To ensure that you don`t miss anyone; keep a manila envelope on hand.

While technology has given the gift of efficiency and accuracy to our writing, it cannot provide a truly personal touch. It is the handwritten messages that we remember most -the stack of love letters, the yearbooks filled with the wisdom of 18 year-old high school graduates, cherished letters of encouragement received during the uncertainty of college, notes of gratitude for kindness shown, and the offer of sympathy and hope to others in times of loss. These are the moments when e-mail just won’t do.

I was just wondering though if we need to send thank you cards to let them know we received their nice cards? When it comes to the death of a loved one, people are not expected to do anything unless they wish to. Some people need to retreat into themselves for reflection, some need to reach out to others. If there are notes or cards that particularly touch you and you want to write back, you certainly may. The thinking is that it is a very difficult time and everyone handles grief differently. It is entirely up to you. My mother-in-law recently passed away and my husband and I have received a lot of sympathy cards from friends. It’s very nice to know that we have so many people thinking of us. No one who sent a card or a casserole will (or should) be upset if they hear nothing, though.%

36. Dorthy  ::  7:07 pm on May 24th, 2015:

Awesome! Its actually remarkable paragraph, I have
    got much clear idea concerning from this piece of writing.

my webpage Spark Whitening Teeth

37. Tobias  ::  11:53 pm on May 24th, 2015:

Make $500 a day. I get is an opportunity right
    now in passive income businesses? Time: Perhaps the best real estate industry is no
    guaranteed pathway to afffiliate software program
    or membership site. Create Long Term Residual & alternative investments (http://alternativeincomestrategies.pw)
    Passive Income, Productivity and Increased Leisure TimeThe reality of the loan source believes the deal as the house quickly.

Do not rush into buying a house. Narrow down to a lot to spend money on a monthly basis.

38. Ericka  ::  10:55 am on May 26th, 2015:

It is a great way useful tips on how to avoid gift shopping stress (Raymon)
    keep your kid occupied and engrossed in an activity.
    You can have the bunny holding a gift basket in place of the egg basket for a real easter treat for moms,
    grandmothers or even a thoughtful easter hostess gift.
    Gift certificates and corporate charge accounts are also available.

39. Samuel  ::  2:01 pm on May 26th, 2015:

Everyone agrees that more tests should be done and that the dangers
    of this chemical in combination with others has still never been widely studied.
    Many people would judge the food in a restaurant by looking at the
    tableware, christmas dinnerware at walmart (Aida) sets they use to serve
    the food. Contact us right away if you have a restaurant, hotel, catering company, party planner business, party
    rental business or a cafeteria.